Out of boredom, I decided to re-flash my old Nokia 5800 Express Music phone with Symbian Anna to replace the original V60 firmware. Not that the original firmware is not good but I kinda need some UI refreshment. After some searching and experimenting, I dare to conclude that Symbian Anna V7.5 custom firmware is pretty excellent for my need.
Steps (Summary) :
This flashing instruction is based on the http://expertester.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/how-to-install-flash-custom-firmware-into-nokia-5800-express-music/. The technique to flash this firmware (below) into your Nokia phone is no different from the method I shown in the URL above except you are no longer need to mix-up your phone original firmware and custom firmware. The Symbian Anna custom firmware that you can download from this page has already included everything. In short, download the firmware and flash it using whatever flashing tool you confortable with.
If you have any trouble understanding this quick and short instruction, please follow to the link above.
- Check your phone variant (mine is RM-356).
- Download appropriate firmware according to your phone variant.
- Ensure your phone variant is supported
- Extract the firmware and copy the folder (mine is RM-356) into …/Nokia/Phoenix/Products/ directory.
- Execute J.A.F with appropriate setting (refer to the URL above (got picture) if you are not remember).
- Turn off the phone and flash.
Flashing custom firmware into your phone possesses real risk. You may brick your phone if you miss one or two things. So, be careful and read the instruction thoroughly. However, if you happen to somehow brick your phone, you may restore it with Nokia original firmware (download it using Navifirm) and flash the original firmware into your phone using JAF.