Most of us know that PS2 able to play DVD Movie without any problems…..but do you know that your old and trusty PS2 able to play DIVX, XVID, MP4 and MP3 as well (from CD, DVD, External LAN Storage, Hard Disk and even your pen drive?)
Jeng jeng jeng…here is the sweet moment. No need hardware modification. What we need only 1 CD-R and an image which you need to be burn using your favorite CD burner software. Get the image at the bottom of this post.
- Download the software (named as SMS Player 1.8 for PS2) : Click HERE (Media Fire) or HERE (DigitalEjas)
- Extract it (You may need free (open source) 7zip software to extract it)
- Using NERO (or any of your fav. CD burner software), burn imagen.cue directly to CD-R
- Put that CD-R to your PS2 (while it still turn off)
- Turn your PS2 ON
- Viola : You got your own home entertainment console
After spend some time with the software, I am happy to report that this free homebrew softare is excellent. Top notch quality, comprehensive setting and configuration and easy enough to navigate without ever need a manual. Thumbs up.
SMS features :
- Smooth DivX AVI Playback at decent resolution
- Pan/Scan and zooming
- Subtitles support (SRT and SUB)
- Visual seek (Fast Forward and Rewind)
- Multiple language and character set support for subtitles other than English
- MP3 Playback
- AC3 Surround Support
- Full resolution
- Copy your movies and mp3′s to your internal HDD!
SMS will read video files from a variety of sources:
- Network Streaming
- USB Drives
- Hard Drives (both the Official Sony HDD and any normal PC HDD)
- CD/DVD-ROM (and NO modchip required!)
SMS can even read DVD-RW discs specially formatted with the DVD-Video filesystem, or CD-R Discs formatted with CDDAFS without needing a modchip or any Swap tricks.